Joint Finance Committee budget hearings progressing

The General Assembly's Joint Finance Committee started it's second week of work today on Delaware's fiscal year 2016 operating budget, continuing its series of public hearings with state agencies to discuss their budget priorities and requests.

Each year, the JFC works from February through June to craft the state spending plan based on input from the administration, legislators, state officials and the public. The budget bill that emerges from the process is required to be balanced, according to the Delaware Constitution. State law also provides that the annual budget comprise no more than 98% of revenue, leaving a 2% reserve for fiscal emergencies.

For a full schedule of this month's JFC hearings, click here.